Thursday

Dialogue with Time

"Have you also learned that secret for the river; that there is no such thing as time? A bright smile spread over Vasudeva's face. "Yes, Siddhartha. Is this what you mean? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere, and the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past, not the shadow of the future?" "That is it," said Siddhartha, "and when I learned that I reviewed my life and it was also a river, and Siddhartha the boy, Siddhartha the mature man and Siddhartha the old man were only separated by shadows, not through reality." --From Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

Access your inner wisdom. Dialogue with your future self, your wise old self, your past--child self, or with the self you will become 5 years from now. What has changed? What has stayed the same? What goals have been achieved? How have you progressed? grown? What are you focused on now? How has your perspective changed? Can your future self provide any insight into things you are dealing with now?

Variations: Again, this is a exploration that can be used again and again. Consider other roles/ parts of the self you could dialogue with? the spirit? soul? inner child? shadow? your critic?

(The concept of Dialoguing has been adapted from Ira Progoff At a Journal Workshop.)

3 comments:

  1. Another wonderful post, Elis! I am really enjoying these and so is my journal. The questions are really helpful, too. At the moment, I am still working with Sofi...and some really great work is happening. Okay, great in my head ... I still have to translate it.

    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also interested in these journal techniques...I took Progroff's workshop in California. Now I'm living in Puerto Rico...I got some encouragment from Kim to engage my muse...so I will be expermenting today. I love you book list...we have several of the same authors...I use Natalie Goldberg in my class (and life)...You even have Writing the Natural Way! I'm inspired by your work here! I'm going to pull At a Journal Workshop off the shelf! I wonder if I should write by hand or on the computer...hum...-to task now! No more thinking...stalling.. Cynthia! Excuse me, I had to have a private (public) word with myself! Visit me later what I have something worth reading! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elis, I left an award over at Oais for you. Please come over and collect it. <3

    ReplyDelete